[VACList] Walt's RV - service & parts

Hi Airstreamers,

As many know, we've been at Walt's RV Service (352.861.2701) in Ocala,
Florida having some "fine tuning" done on our "new to us" Airstream.

During the lulls, my curiosity got the better of me. I saw for myself why
Walt has parts that other dealers seldom have OR can only get after placing
a rush order with the factory.  Walt saves all kinds of large parts in his
outside storage sheds. Just because one portion of an part was damaged or
was broken is no reason to toss the entire part in the dumpster.

And that doesn't even begin to recognize Walt's inventory of new and old
small parts in his shop (on wall hooks, in slotted plastic containers on
shelves and in cardboard  boxes).  Nor does it recognize the easy
convenience of an "old time hardware store" operated by two savvy gents -
several blocks away.

Taking it a step further, one of his workers (son-in-law) by the name of
Paul has a knack for tackling each job with sharp attention to detail,
obvious organization and clear planning. That style of approach to tasks is
a trait I've always admired. Typically, it results in a job well done and
generally prompts me to give a personal tip when the bill is paid.

For those who will ask about his prices, I'm thoroughly convinced he
provides more service for the dollar than any other place we've experienced.

Why am I mentioning Walt's RV again? It's been discussed on this list
before. Perhaps my few observations will add to the knowledge base. He is a
not listed on the official  Airstream Service list, but his place is where
competent service is always available and hard to find parts are often
available. This applies to new as well as old Airstreams.

And - if Walt should retire in a few years with Paul taking over the
business, I'm confident the quality of service will remain high.

As an aside, while at Walt's, I looked at the repair work he and Paul
recently did on the '77 31' Airstream we traded. In my opinion, the only way
to identify the repaired area is to know which line of rivets wasn't there
when the trailer was built.  Paul polished the repaired area to an exact
match with the rest of the trailer.

Because Walt's place is such a good service stop for anyone going south to
Florida or going north out of Florida, it  would be wise to call first and
discuss the work to be done before setting a date and confirming directions
to his shop.

Terry (03/12/03)

This noon, we were drive-up customers at a Coast to Coast Park (3 Flags RV
Resort, Wildwood, FL) for 3 nights/ $6 nightly/ full hookups.