[VACList] Changing the color of cabinets

After I made nice slipcovers and cool vintage-looking curtains, I got used
to the look of my 70's Globetrotter. Still, I did sell that one in favor of
a nice 65 with beautiful mahogany woodwork, so I can understand your
friends' issues :) Lincoln Soule's rehab is fantastic, and there used to be
a guy on this list named Tim, who resurfaced all the cabinets with a very
thin veneer made of real birch - looked great. Maybe he'll surface during
this discussion. If that sounds too complicated, you can always paint over
the fake wood finish. There was an art teacher who sold a wonderful trailer
on Ebay, with cabinets totally custom-painted. He said the key was to
completely degrease the surface (i.e. with alcohol or TSP) before laying
down the base coat of white latex paint. On top of that, he used artists'
acrylics for the decorative painting. It looked amazing.
Kathy Fisken, Seattle
'65 Globetrotter