Re: [VACList] registering an Airstream

These things are a little heavy for the AAA to deal with.  Especially note
the requirement to bring the vehicle into the DMV for serial number
verification.  Although this can be gotten around by having a peace officer
complete and sign a verification form, let me tell you that the DMV looks
this over very carefully.  I know from personal experience.

This from the DMV:

How do I register my nonresident vehicle in California (last registered in
another state or country)?

Your vehicle may be subject to California registration from the date of
entry. Fees must be paid within 20 days from the date the vehicle entered
California to avoid penalties.

You will need to:

Complete an Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)
Submit your out-of-state registration certificate
Submit your out-of-state title (If you have it)
Provide evidence of the California smog certification
Provide an odometer mileage certification (If your vehicle is less than 10
years old)
Bring your vehicle to a DMV office for verification of the vehicle's
identification number (For your convenience, we recommend that you schedule
an appointment by calling your local DMV )
Pay the fees
Commercial vehicles, including pickup trucks, may also require a weight
certificate.

You may also be subject to use tax if you brought this vehicle into
California within 90 days from your date of purchase.