[VACList] Fw: New Shocks

You don't necessarily need part numbers.  You may need a good parts man.
Part numbers are the easy way, but not the only way.

When I decided to replace shocks on our '64 Overlander, I took one off,
identified the size and type of end fittings, and measured the compressed
and extended lengths.  As I recall ours had eye fittings on both ends
(circular through-hole bushings) so lengths were center to center on the
eyes for both measurements.  In addition, you need to note whether they are
nominally vertical or horizontal mounting.

The shock manufacturers have listings of shocks be fitting types and
compressed and extended lengths.  Find something where these match, and
mounting orientation matches, and order the corresponding part number.

However, I wouldn't be surprized if some of the later trailers had shocks
available only through the dealers.

I also used the above method to find a Monroe gas-magnum shock part number
that fits the rear suspension of our 1972 Chrysler (this series shock is
normally used on 3/4 and 1 ton light trucks).  This gives better towing
stability than standard shocks.

Lauren Countryman
23352