[VACList] AS Body Repairs

David, I am not an expert at this, but perhaps I can add to your self
confidence.  Due to the press of traffic and a failing alternator, I broke
our rules on night driving and backing only with a ground guide, I backed
into a road sign.  I was in a rush to get to a particular RV Park, near an
alternator repair shop.  The right rear of the the trailer had a significant
inverted V in the area of the right tail light.  Fortunately the tail light
popped out intact,but the impact left a sizable hole through the wall into
the rear bedroom.  After my getting parked and dealing with my shame
and sorrow, I got out the duct tape and covered the hole.  After dealing
with the alternator problem, a Walmart tail light was attached to the
right rear, I later added one on the left to match.  Now for the part
which may help you.  The damage included the V Channel (horizontal
band) and significant bending and wrinkling of the aluminum on the
exterior and interior.  I began to imagine what could I put over this to
camouflage it, but came up with no solutions.  Fortunately I was
enrolled in an auto body repair class at a near Voc Tech,  a Grandson
and I had been working on an antique truck project.  The instructor said
that he had never worked on an Airstream before, but to bring the trailer
to the last class.  He told me to clear away all the interior so the
damaged area would be accessible from both inside and outside.  Tell
you the truth, I thought my AS would never look presentable, but after 3
hours of pushing pulling and lightly hammering (tapping) on the
aluminum (outside high spots and inside low spots) with a soft face
hammer and a standard molly,it began to look promising.   The first
challenge was the C Channel, by pushing from the inside, we were able
to get it back into the original shape and curavature.  The movement of
the C Channel corrected a lot of the aluminum skin problems and the
remainder were to be dealt with the hammer and molly, as noted above.
All sorts of suggestions were made by class members, from super
imposing a sheet of aluminum over the area to stick on a large decal.  I
elected to continue repairing the damage at home with the hammer and
molly technique.  By installing sheet metal pieces inside, with lots of
clear type caulk/adhesive, I was able to reinforce the skin, the C
Channel, and pull this reinforcement and the outer skin together with
stainless steel machine bolts.  The result is a line of 6 SS bolt heads
along the only tear line (approx 6 inches long), visible from the exterior.
My trailer still has some minor wrinkles on that area, but does look
presentable and oddly enough no one has yet asked "what happened
here?".  The most difficult was taking out the interior panels, this was a
bear, due to the pressure of the V creating additional stress on the
overlaying panels.  My guess is that you will have one or more C
Channels bent inward and some of the exterior skin and interior panels
pushed in.  Don't despair, it can be fixed and luckly it is on top and
probably not very visible.  My apology for the length of this, but I know
from experience, that damage to a prized vintage AS is serious business.
 Good luck.  Ned Digh