[VACList] 1962 Trade Wind

1962 Trade Wind
a) Bargman tail light workaround
b) Battery-box clasp

After receiving so much valuable information from the VAClist, I thought I'd
share a couple of discoveries:

a) Until the elusive Bargman tail light lens becomes available again, I found
a workaround:
First, have a plastic shop cut you a disc of red, transparent plexiglass about
6 inches in diameter. Use at least 1/4 inch thickness, because 1/8 inch will
crack. (Translucent is MUCH dimmer than transparent, so make sure to get
the transparent.)  Next, drill three holes in the plexiglas to match the
backing plate.  Then, go to Home Depot's plumbing department and get a
4"x3" Flexible Coupling, made by Fernco, a rubber flange for connecting
three-inch pipe to four-inch pipe. The wide end of this sturdy, pliable flange
fits RIGHT INTO the inside diameter of the backing plate, and the rubber
makes a watertight seal against the plate.  Then, get new round-head
screws that match the thread of the old screws, but are long enough to
span the distance across the new flange.  Finally, slip the wide end of the
flange into the backing plate, insert the three screws into the plexiglas lens
you had made, and assemble.  I made it from NYC to Colorado in winter
weather using this workaround!

b) Exterior fastening clamps:
For an exact match for the lunch-box style clamps that my 1962 Airstream
uses to hold down the lid of the battery box (as well as the lid to the
power-cord compartment in the rear quarterpanel), go to a good, specialty
hardware store, one that stocks a wide variety of cabinet latches. (Sorry,
Home Depot will not have these.) In Boulder, Colo., a store called
McGuckins carries them. They are sold in bulk and have no label,
unfortunately, so I don't have a name. But if you start hunting around with
the old clamp in hand, you will find this little bugger. I drilled out the rusty
originals and now have shiny new ones that match in every regard.

OK, so cheers to the VACsters, and keep 'em rolling!
Bill Rogers
Lafayette, CO