[VACList] Remember the 1940s or earlier front axle for the tongue??

It was called a California .....   cannot remember now.
but it was a pair of road wheels on an axle and supporting the tongue to take
weight off the rear of the tow vehicle while it was pulling the TT down the
hiway.
you can see it sorta in that Flying Cloud model that the Pottery Barn sells.
btw, they did refund my money when I sent it back.

was it a full swivel?  or a limited rotation?  how did it do in backing?  or did
you just swap ends and hook up to a front bumber hitch to spot.?

Anyone remember the particulars of that?  Pearl?

thanks
chas