Re: [VACList] RE: Towing Question

Dan.
Anyone, at any time, can modify the suspension system of any tow vehicle.
If it is safe or not, is a very different question.

Take any rig, to any truck scale. Weigh the tow vehicle front axle, the rear
axle, and then the trailer axle or axles.

That information will tell you when you have exceeded the safe limits, of
spring rate changes.

The rule is very simple, and has been proven over and over again.

The rear axle weight "MUST NOT EXCEED" the total tow vehicle weight by more
than 10 percent from the front axle.

That is to say, if the tow vehicle axles total 5000 pounds, then the rear
axle cannot exceed the front axle weight by more than 10 percent of the total
weight, namely in this example, the rear axle could be no more than 2750
pounds and the front axle "NO LESS" than 2250 pounds.

I know, I know, people do it all the time, and say, it's OK. Physics say
otherwise, and so does the data from loss of control accidents, that exceeded
more than 3000 loss of control losses.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com