RE: [VACList] Laying aluminum panel over damaged panel

Greetings Wayne!

Almost five years ago, I was involved in a minor accident with a
gatepost - - resulting in three creases down the side of my '64
Overlander.  Initially, my Airstream dealer proposed a total panel
replacement - - then began investigating and it was determined to my
satisfaction that an overlay would actually result in a more acceptable
repair.  In a total panel replacement, two windows would have been
removed and replaced and the replacement would have also disrupted the
factory seals between the ribs and the exterior skin as well as between
panels anywhere the new panel went - - I could just see my leak-free
coach becoming a sieve.

The repair is only noticeable if one's attention is drawn to it, or you
personally know coaches of that era.  In my case, it also gave me the
opportunity to have the old furnace and its obtrusive shroud (also
damaged by the gatepost) replaced with a new modern unit with electronic
ignition.

The following is a link to a photo of the streetside where the repair
was made.  It is below the front window running to the second window in
the kitchen.

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1081&papass=&s
ort=1

Would the repair satisfy a purist - - absolutely not.  It did, however,
satisfy my goal of maintaining a presentable appearance while disturbing
the underlying structure as little as possible.  Almost five years
later, the repair is absolutely satisfactory with not indication of new
leaks having been created.

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359