Re: [VACList] Laying aluminum panel over damaged panel

Scott,

Overlaying *part* of a panel is called a 'scab patch' and it is rivted in
place.

However, overlaying an entire panel as the post suggested wouldn't be a good
idea - so much extra weight for starters - corrosion between the two is
another - much longer rivets would be needed, etc.

The old panel can be removed and used as a template.  When removing the old
panel you can hold parts of it in place with spring or draw style Clecos.
When the panel is completely drilled and all the rivet heads are removed you
can then begin the job of prying one panel loose from the adjoining panel.
I am sure there is some type of adhesive or sealer such as PRC or the
equivalent between the panel you want to remove and the adjacent panels that
only have the edge rivets drilled out.

With all that said are you referring to a job like I outlined above or are
you and the poster referring to a 'scab patch' which would not necessitate
the removal of an "entire" panel?  Where is this panel that is to be
replaced?  Where on the trailer??

I know aluminum as in aircraft aluminum construction and all I'm trying to
do is to get to the facts of the matter here.  I don't doubt what you are
saying but then again how big of a patch job are we talking about here??

Tom