Re: [VACList] Waterhose heat blanket?

Bobby,

    A number of years ago my wife and I were between houses; just out of
college and had purchased our 66 Overlander.  I was eager to try it out (we
were childless also) in winter so we spent approx nine months
"Airstreaming."
    The whole experience I found very rewarding, my wife may
differ.....anyway I built an insulated box at the bottom of the trailer that
served as a conduit from the sewer hookup and the water.  I also wrapped the
water supply with a heat tape and insulation.  I shortened the sewer hose
down to about 18" and sent it straight into the receptacle.  Since the
holding tank had been removed I simply plumbed the sewer straight through.
(When the trailer is stationary for long periods the holding tank may clog.)
I also rented a large propane tank to supply the newly installed suburban
heater.  This all worked well however the suburban heater was turning on too
frequently when the weather started to get down to 0 degrees so I installed
skirting around the bottom of the trailer.  This was very necessary when the
temperature went to minus 20 degrees.
    As I said before, wife may differ on this having grown up on Cape Cod
where people aren't fortunate enough to live in Airstreams.  At any rate it
was great fun and instilled a great sense of freedom and independence in our
lives.  I don't think it would be for everyone though, although, everyone
should experience that form of "pioneering" at some point in their
lives...it builds character!
    Just remember, keep smiling!

    Cheers, GAS