[VACList] Re: [A/S] Solar Panel Suggestions?

>Solar Panels - What do they cost? Are they worth it?  If so, what should I
>look for when buying and maybe where would be a good place to buy and have
>installed?

         This question reminds me...I'm about to make my almost-annual
replacement of both batteries.  Currently, I have Die Hard Marine/RV deep
cycle batteries, which have not met my expectations in the past.  I expect
this is because the trailer is left in storage much of the year, not
connected (with the kill switch turned to "off").  I bring them home in
winter, and keep them charged.  However, currently one of them is not
accepting a full charge (according to my "automatic" charger).  I've heard
that Interstate batteries are a better brand, but have no experience with
them.  Any suggestions on battery brands?  I don't want to spend $150 each
on Optimas and have them fail in the same way.
         I also would like to know if the solar panels advertised for
battery charging (only) at places like Camping World are worthwhile.  I
have all the solar-energy literature that I can find, including Terry
Tyler's emails.  I just want to be able to keep the batteries charged while
the trailer is in storage.  We don't boondock, except on rare occasions
when in parks without electric service, or perhaps on caravan.  One day at
most.  I would appreciate any suggestions and/or comments the listees might
have about experiences with this rather limited use of solar.

- Dick
(5368)