Re: [VACList] Our "new" 1955 Sovereign, help!

Jason,
Congratulations on your purchase! I own a 57 Sovereign of the Road and a 59
Ambassador International. The 57 is in the process of a "frame off"
restoration and the 59 is very original and was used several times last
summer. As far as I know, the 57 never had an onboard battery although it
does have a 12v and 120v electrical systems. There is a socket on the front
curb side corner which originally was connected to the tow vehicle for 12v
power. This is separate from the usual 12v external lighting/electric brakes
plug. The 59 has an aluminum battery box mounted on the front of the trailer
which is where the trailer gets its 12v when the tow vehicle is
disconnected. It also powers the tongue jack. I have installed several
Optima "Spiral Core" Yellow Top batteries under the bunks for additional amp
hours. These batteries are expensive, however they do not require venting
when charging. It also gives you a lot of flexibility for positioning. You
can even lie them on there side. I am planning on doing the same thing in
the 57 when the restoration gets to that stage.
Both of my trailers use 2" balls so I would imagine yours would be the same.
I towed the 57 home (9 hour trip) on the original split rims with marginal
tires without any problems. Keep in mind that this model of trailer is much
lighter than a comparable one from the 60's or 70's. Somewhere in the
neighborhood of 3900 lbs dry.  I don't think the rims are the issue if you
are just bringing it home. Typically the tires and the bearings/brakes are
the big problem. Split Rims work however trying to find a shop to install
new tires on them will be tough. Try tire shops that deal primarily with
trucks. If you look back in the List Archives you will find all sorts of
chatter about where to get replacement rims at a good price. Load ratings
are critical with rims so check very carefully before you plunk down your
money. I think the 6 lug pattern was the same through the 50's, 60's and
maybe on through until now. You just need a small prybar to remove the
hubcaps.
Good luck with it!

Colin Hyde
WBCCI, VAC, 10247