Re: [VACList] Transmissions

D&V,
 I think you meant to say (3rd line below) that "an automatic won't hold up
over the long haul".

FWIW: I agree 100%. You make an excellent point about downhill towing, also.
If you have a Diesel truck, you'll probably want an exhaust brake. If you
install one of those, you need to install addons to keep the TCC locked
and/or add more cooling to the auto trans.

If the transmission is properly geared and the driver knows what he/she is
doing, a clutch is a lifetime proposition, IMO. The only way you ruin a
manual clutch is abusing it. Somewhere around here, I have the clutch disk
from one of my VW Rabbits that was replaced at 170,000 miles, due to one of
the springs being broken. (a not-uncommon problem in the Rabbits) The disk
lining showed NO wear when compared to the new one.

                                                      <<Jim>>