[VACList] Fw: [A/S] Automatic vs manual transmission

Tell your Grandpa that the technology has come a long way in recent years.

Most automakers recommend the automatic over the stick shift for safety reasons.
Primarily because the transmission and engine are always engaged. [With a stick
it is possible to get the transmission into neutral and then have a tough time
getting it back in gear - typically when downshifting when you do want the vehicle
in gear to hold back the vehicle and trailer on a down grade.]  I know I will get
a lot of flack on this from stick affectionados.]

Some of the new automatics are phenomenal, such as the GM Allison on the HD pickups.
Even the current Hydramatics (on trucks and Yukon/Tahoe/Suburbans anyway include a
Tow mode which is engaged by a touch of the button on the end of the shift lever.
This causes the shift points to be reprogrammed (both up and down) to better match
the load and operation of a trailering situation.  It is also automatically entered
if the transmission is under stress and is starting to overheat. [These new vehicles
are much smarter than the driver.  All you have to do is look in the owner's manual
to see how many messages the computers recognize, tell the driver, and the action
they take on their own!]