Re: [VACList] Motorhome engine replacement

Gerald,
 I once worked with a fella who related a story of driving a Buick
Straight-8 on a long trip and having repeated bearing failures. He did what
you suggested below, ending up on 5 cylinders at the end of the trip, IIRC.
Of course, if you removed a rod and piston, you should also put something
around the crank journal to keep the oil from being pumped out, causing no
oil pressure. A hose clamp over a piece of innertube or gasket material
should do the job.

If you have an engine with extremely low oil pressure, you can thicken up
the oil with some gear lube. Putting about half 90-weight oil in the thing
will do wonders for the oil pressure, but you do have to be careful when the
engine is cold.

Dunno if even I'd want to set off on a 2000-mile trip with an engine rigged
as we describe. That's with a full set of tools, shop manuals, and what I
know about mechanics. Maybe I don't have enough sense of adventure. <<grin>>

                                                                <<Jim>>