[VACList] Polishing

I am beginning my polishing project and could use some advice and
encouragement. I have finished striping my 1972 Tradewind, used about 3
gallons of sprayable Bix, scraped off the crud with a plastic scraper and
wiped clean with mineral spirits.  I order Nuvite and a Cyclo and intend to
use a compounder as a first step.  Here is the problem: 85% of my plasticoat
was intact and the aluminum that was protected is in good share and is easy
to polish.  The remaining 15% appears to have lost the shiny cladding, is
quite difficult to polish and appears to never quite get to the mirror like
finish that the rest of the trailer has.  How have the rest of you polishers
dealt with this?  Paint is sounding better every day.

Thanks for any and all advice, this is a great forum!

Rick Ellis