[VACList] Re:frame condition,rusty frames

I am currently replacing the last 6 feet of the frame on my 77 31'
Airstream.
    The easiest indicator I know of for frame problems is if anything
rattles like gravel etc. when you thump on the belly pan, it is the rusted
remains of your frame. I would highly recommend that anybody with a trailer
this old remove the belly pan for an inspection. I don't know what airstream
used to paint the frames but it was either very poor quality or not prepped
properly or both. With the belly pan off you can remove all the soggy
insulation that has settled around the frame, repair it if neccesary and
repaint it. I would use Eastwood companies Corroless rust coating paint, POR
15 etc. Most defiantly do something different with the rear bumper "trunk".
All it does is collect water and leak it into the belly pan. Mine will have
a proper drain and will probably be coated with sprayin bed liner (Line ex)
so no rust.
    I also found that the reinforcements for the big bolts that hold the
back of the body on to the frame rails had put the stress in a very small
area at their edge and broken the rear floor bow (aluminum channel). Luckily
this part is cheap from AS. Only $40. The new one has a channel like the
sides for the floor plywood. Keeps the edge from having to rely on caulk to
keep the rear edge of the plywood from soaking up the water that that didn't
make it into the trunk.
    The belly pans are all sealed up underneath. Unfortunately if any water
gets in it can't get out and will do bad things over time. On my trailer the
wraps on the sides are installed over the side skin. This is under the lower
body moulding. Any water that got in there didn't even have sealer to keep
it out and went into the belly area. I also found that the outriggers that
make up the back of the wheel wells were not trimmed to fit very well. They
left a gap at the inner end that allowed even more water to get in.
    As an interesting side issue, I was just at the local Airstream dealer
getting parts and looked at a new International of about 25'. It didn't even
have a belly pan. Side wraps were plastic and only to give the look of
wrapping around.
    Richard Paul