[VACList] Cracks in refrigerator vent, solicitation for ideas

Hi all,

  My current project is to repair the refrigerator vent on my '77 Argosy.  I
think these vents were standard in many of the trailers using Dometic
refrigerators in this time period.  My plan is to use small bits of
fiberglass on the inside.  I see some complications here as the refer has a
metal lip that catches the vent on the inside.  Both corners are heavily
fracured near the countertop.  The PO had siliconed heavily around the
counter splashguard, and the counter supports have been sheared from the
wall.  This damaged just the bottom corners of the vent.  My guess is that
the tires are greatly unbalanced.  (that job is for the spring)

  I could also approach this from the outside.  Either way it will need to
be painted.  Can I use spray paint from a hardware store?

  I have the side cover off the refer;  it and the vent are right beside the
door.  I can actually get my arm into the far side, but it will be tricky.
Maybe I should just remove the countertop, but I am afraid of more damage
from all the silicon used.  Then there is that lip inside.  If I silicon
that in place I will never get the refer out again without cutting the vent.

  If anyone has ever worked on this vent please offer me a few tips before I
start.  When I get the corners beefed up I intend to scape off all the
silicon, sand the lower part, and paint it.

  Another idea I have had is to use some decorative trim around the base of
the vent.  Four inches would cover most faults, and I would not need to
paint the rest.

  Thanks for any ideas

JimW