Re: [VACList] Gas Tank Replacement

Greetings Jamie!

You didn't mention your tank size, but given that your trailer is a
Sovereign I would suppose that it originally would have had either 30 or 40
pound tanks.  They could have been steel, but would have more likely been
aluminum.  The least that you would be looking at for new Worthington
Aluminum tanks in the 30 lb. size would be in the neighborhood of $140.00
each - - or if in the 40 lb. size $150.00 each - - more if you want a remote
reading level gauge accessory.  Given that a theft was involved, this may be
one of those areas where it might be worth turning it in to your insurance
carrier.  There are three reasons that you might like the aluminum tanks - -
1.) They are lighter and easier to manage when carrying to refill station.
2.)  When polished, they really compliment the Airstream.  3.)  They don't
rust so you don't have to worry about periodically repainting them.  The
only down-side that I have encountered was when I lived in Wisconsin - -
none of the propane dealers in my county (Grant) would fill aluminum tanks
(they were unwilling to provide an explanation).

You can find one source of aluminum tanks at the following:

http://www.airstreamdreams.com/category.html?UCIDs=69543

I purchased my 40 lb. Aluminum tanks there almost two years ago and am very
pleased with the product and service.

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (Towcar in
Training)