Re: [VACList] rv refridgerators/pergo

One more data point for you...several of the listees, including myself,
have installed laminate flooring (of which Pergo is one brand) in our
coaches.  I started with 1/8" plywood screwed into the original floor,
followed by the foam layer, followed by the laminate flooring.  I used
the glue-less variety, based on the vendor's recommendation for a
cabin-type application which would see extremes of temperature and
humidity (Wisconsin climate).  You will want to spend enough time
measuring your floor, measuring the pieces, and planning where each end
joint will fall; mapping out the floor on graph paper, and drawing in
each piece of flooring before you make your first cut will definitely
pay dividends.

A jigsaw worked well for all the cuts.  And, the cutting is the biggest
part of this job.  As recommended, I left the 1/4" (nominal) gap around
the edges, and filled it in with caulk in a matching neutral tone.  You
can buy and easily install matching molding stock in several shapes, for
baseboard if you desire.  I installed 2 pieces where it just seemed like
there should be baseboard.  I drilled and screwed into place easily
enough, but in hindsight it really wasn't necessary; you might be just
as content with the caulked edge.

Be sure and buy the installation tool (a flat steel bar 6-8" long with a
lip on each end); it really simplifies the process of tightly fitting
the sections together.

After 2 seasons, the seams remain tight and it still looks great.  Small
amounts of moisture bead up and wipe away easily.  Overall, it was
economical to buy, straightforward to install, easy to clean, and holds
up well in service. Yes, the floor floats, but that doesn't mean it is
unstable by any means.

Although "next time" (hah!) I would be tempted to go with the genuine
rosewood strip flooring I found at Home Depot last month...