[VAC] Re: Re-aligning/bending door?

Greetings Jason!

You might be looking at a “custom ordered” coach.  Most of the 1964  Sovereigns had a door-within-a-door arrangement rather than a window in a door.   The link below is to a photo of the door-within-a-door on my ’64 Overlander International:

http://www.airstreamphotos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=1080&papass=&sort=1

Special order “customs” weren’t uncommon during this period of time, and I have seen one 1964 Sovereign with virtually all of its windows being of the jalousie type.  The jalousie windows are great for ventilation in all types of weather, but they can be a bit of a headache when it comes to cleaning.

One of the problems that I encountered with my Overlander’s door was caused by the door blowing open in-transit.  It caused a gap at the top as you describe plus a fractured hinge as well.  The Ruths at P & S Trailer Service in Helena, Ohio repaired the door - - used wood braces between the opening and the door and carefully applied pressure to return the door to its proper shape.  The hinge, however, has been much more of a problem - - finally found one, NOS, via an E-Bay auction this fall - - have yet to have the hinge installed, but this should make the repair complete.

Good luck with your decition!

Kevin D. Allen

1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban

1978 Argosy Minuet

1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)

WBCCI/VAC #6359