[VAC] Does This Sound Like Bearing Trouble?

In the past 20 years and three trailers, I have never had any bearing problems but I think that may be changing.  I picked up my ’78 Argosy Minuet at Ace Fogdall RV on Saturday and had several unusual happenings along the line.  Each time I applied the brakes there was a distinct banging (metallic) noise emanating from the trailer that was accompanied by two sharp jerks.  The first two times that this happened, I attributed the problem to rust in the drums resulting from three weeks of inactivity.  The third time it happened (over 140 miles from Ace Fogdall and about 65 miles from home), I became concerned and stopped to check the temperature of the hubs - - slightly warm to the touch but not hot.  Decided to continue on home as I was already more than ¾ of the way there.  I was tired and parked the trailer on its pad and didn’t look at it again until today.  Now I notice staining on both Argosy center caps on the wheels as well as some on the spider assembly of each wheel - - it appears to be a grease/oil stain, but it is not wet to the touch.  It has only been about 1,000 miles since I had a reputable shop repack the wheel bearings and inspect the brakes (not Ace Fogdall) - - the shop that did the work has performed similar services for me many times.  I suspect that I am either having  brake trouble (dragging shoe or shoes) or possibly bearing trouble - - defective seals - - excessive amount of grease?? - - I have trouble believing that both bearings would fail almost simultaneously.

I am in a quandary as I am not mechanically inclined, and must have such work done by professionals.   The nearest professional that I know and trust is almost 200 miles away (Ace Fogdall RV), and I was supposed to deliver the trailer to Arlene Fowler for an interior refurbishment this weekend.  I am now concerned that a 360 + mile trip may be ill-advised?    I had hoped to make this trip over the upcoming weekend as it will be three more weeks before I have another opportunity to take the trailer south.   Has anyone on the list had any experiences with the RV repair shops in the Quad City area of Illinois or Iowa?  Am I over-reacting and borrowing trouble?  I am debating whether to throw caution to the wind and take to the road over the weekend - - stopping every 50 to 75 miles to check the hub temperatures.

Any insights will be greatly appreciated!

Kevin

Kevin D. Allen

1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban

1978 Argosy Minuet

1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)

WBCCI/VAC #6359