[VAC] Re: Travelling w/'updated' Utility Connections

Dave,
  On our Avion, I mounted a 20-amp Twist-Lock recessed male "bulkhead
connector" for the incoming power. Yes, it "should" have been a 30-amp
unit, but this really is heavy enough, as we don't have a microwave. The
A/C draws well under 15 amps.

A matching Twist-Lock FEMALE receptacle is on the end of the OEM 30-amp
cord. I also wired up a short #12 pigtail with a standard 15-amp plug
and the 20-amp Twist-Lock receptacle, to allow easy use of a 50' #12
cord that I carry, or use of any other standard cord when I don't need
the full-power capabilities of the heavy OEM cord.

I bought the bulkhead connector and one of the matching receptacles
("cord cap") at a ham fest, the other came from a local electrical
supply house.

This setup is far safer than yours and is highly recommended. Sometime,
sooner or later, someone will make a mistake that could be embarrasing
at best, tragic at worst.

                                     <<Jim>>