[VAC] Re: Carrying Bicycles between Trailer and Tow Vehicle

When I inquired about hitch-mounted bike mounts here a few months ago,
someone reminded me that my bikes could be crushed in a tight turn!  I have
removed the original owner's rear-bumper bike rack on our '67 Caravel.   So
I tried a standard Hollywood 4 bike unit, hung from the back-window on our
'97 Toyota LandCruiser.   (I would prefer the much smaller 2 unit Hollywood
rack I used to own, but I gave it to a daughter long ago).
    Worked great, but we took Bike Fridays which have 20" tires and hang
much higher than standard bikes on a bike mount.  That helped keep them high
up and away from the hitch and power-jack.  The shorter-armed 2 bike unit
would have helped too.  No problems with any contact with the bikes during
tight turns.
    And, of course, the bikes were right there when we chose to drive to
some place other than campground to start our bike trip.

    Huff