[VAC] hydraulic brakes

Hi to all.  I'm a wannabie newbie.  Found a '77 31' that's only an eight
hour drive away (close-by for these parts), so I'm planning to go look this
weekend.  The trailer (exc. cond.) has the old vacuum-hydraulic disc brakes
and the current owner has a vac line running from under the hood to the back
of his truck.  He says that the system works beautifully--very smooth and
powerful.  I, however, have an F250 Powerstroke, hence the questions:

1. Is the vacuum pump (for truck brakes and tranny) on the Powerstroke
powerful enough to handle the trailer too?

2. If not, the local hitch shop says that it has a Carlisle Hydrostar
electric-hydraulic actuator that is powered by a standard heavy-duty brake
controller (I just put on a Jordan Ultima--hope that can handle the 15 to 20
amps required); one just rips-out the vacuum stuff and replaces it with this
unit (for only $999 CDN), plus a painted steel weather-tight box to put it
in (for only $200 CDN).  Does anyone have experience with this unit?

I know that many have changed-over to all electric brakes, but I would like
to keep the hydraulic discs if possible, and also, I would be at the
seller's home doing the change-over, so the actuator change seems to be
quicker and simpler than doing the whole system.  Your opinions and
expertise are sought.

Gary Heebner
Prince George, British Columbia
nodoubtinmymind@shaw.ca