[VAC] Electrical woes

The other day when I wrote under the thread DC plug, I didn't know what a
can of worms I was getting into.  After I reported that my Toshiba TV/DVD
was running I let it go for an hour and then turned it off.  I could never
get it back on.

So, figuring it was low voltage I took my house battery for a check at
Wal-Mart.  It turned out to be pumping 13.4 when they checked it.  So I
started to get real interested in voltages and went out and bought a digital
multimeter at Radio Shack. (There's a great buy right now for $9.95 :)

Came back and measured the battery as it was connected to Univolt and it
read 13.84 volts.  Checked the cigarette lighter plug inside the Airstream
and it read 14.94 volts.  Then I checked the cigarette lighter plug in my
Toyota and it was 12.95 volts.  Even I could figure out that there was too
much DC voltage going to the Airstream plug.

So as an experiment I turned on everything in the house that was DC and then
checked the voltage out of the plug.  It was 13.12 volts.  Plugged in the
Toshiba TV/DVD and it came right on and continues as I write this note.

So I assume the Univolt is somehow responsible for increasing the voltage
over the house battery?!  Is there a voltage regulator that works in the
Airstream?  Would there be a voltage regulation advantage to a newer Univolt
or the converter with the Charge Wizard.

It seems that many of the new hi-tech appliances are VERY sensitive to
receiving the exact voltage they specify.  My RV-500 H20 heater has
electronic ignition.  It stopped working during the removal of my house
battery and now it won't come back on.  I suspect too high voltage.

Bob Kiger  http://cruiserbob.com
66 Airstream Safari
Mira Mar Mobile Park
Oceanside, CA