[VAC] Re: "air guitar" Seriously?

In a message dated 10/2/02 11:47:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time, mbossiere@pobox.com writes:

Marc,
It will be nearly impossible to find any vintage tow vehicle with enough power that will give you much (if any) better mpg than 15.  I would look for something pre-1973 to get cars that were getting max power out of the engine.  My 77 Excella manual had an equation for factoring the required engine size for towing which equated to 400 ci.  Some engines do tend to be more economical tha others.  I have had the Ford/Mercury 390 and gotten high teen mpg while a similar Ford w/352 engine would rarely get up to 12 mpg.
Also keep in mind the difficulty factor of installing the hitch.  My New Yorker is one of the least noticable class 3 receiver hitches I have seen.  I had looked at a '71 thunderbird and decided against it because the hitch couldn't be tucked under at all because of chassis/trunk design and it would have been seriously ugly.

John