[VAC] Electrical Mystery Part II

Hi again! I subscribe to the digest form of the VAC List, so my
apologies to anyone who already responded with a solution to my earlier
e-mail earlier today regarding this problem, but here's an update on my
electrical mystery with some more info:

I measured around with a multimeter and here's what I saw:

Initially, I measured 10.75 VDC from the uncharged disconnected battery
(it had been disconnected for a while). When I reconnected the battery
to the system the battery voltage went to zero. All three low-voltage
circuits seemed to be drawing power or shorted so I disconnected all the
low-voltage circuits and tested them individually. After the Univolt was
powered up and with just the battery drawing charge current, main DC
voltage rose to about 11.5 VDC.
I reconnected the leads and tested each low-voltage circuit one at a
time. Circuit A, the bottom auto-resetting-breaker drew about 1 amp
(even though all the appliances and lights were off) Circuit B (the
middle one according to the manual schematic) drew about 3.5 Amps.
Circuit C was off the charts (my multimeter works to 10A).
I thought that maybe I just had a bad battery, but then why wouldn't it
work using shore power?.worse yet, is my Univolt fried?

Thanks again,

Yosef