Re: Univolt, converters, and such.

Thank you all for shedding some light on my battery-charging problems.
AFATIC the batteries seem OK, reading in the 13 volt range w/charger, all
electricity off -- battery water levels OK after 1) charging w/the old
Sears charger 2) once charged, switching to the small digital unit.
Time will tell...

But Univolts... I assumed previous owner had removed the univolt, but I
still have whatever the electic box is with a "City"/"Battery" switch.
Is that the Univolt?
My understanding of how to use this unit from previous owner is to leave
the switch in "Battery" position, charging the batteries whenever shore
power is available. In this sense, I'm running the "univolt" as a
converter to convert AC to DC and keep the batteries charged?
If so why would I need a converter (eg, "Intellipower")? We don't do a
lot of cooking on board. Though we use microwave frequently at home, we
certainly don't feel the need for one on the road. In a pinch you can
eat beans cold.

Huff