[VAC] Water pump woes

 It's been over a year in restoration but I finally got our '68 Airstream
back on the road.  After replacing the bathroom floor, all plumbing, almost
all new appliances and a new custom oak interior built from scratch, I was
excited to give it a try.  Although I have no drawers or doors yet, and have
a couple of cupboards to make and the table to finish and install (the list
goes on), it was done enough for the shake down trip.  Most everything
worked great.  No water leaks, the new furnace worked well after the first
day and a half - think I had a stuck sail switch, but it worked out, new
fridge worked great as well as the new optima battery.  I highly recommend
the latter!  The one puzzling thing I have to figure out is the water pump.
It works well and puts out lots of volume, but every time it pumps, the
entire 12V system pulses.  Can't believe it can pull that much current.  Is
this normal?  This is the original pump.  Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance
Pete