[VAC] aluminum tank???

ok this is to date the stupidest i have have felt dealing with my airstreams!

on my '74 i was originally told by the seller that the tanks were
steel replacements, she said she bought it that way.  Now i look at
them and think that they are aluminum, they don't seem to be painted,
so the lack of rust leads me to this conclusion. how do i tell, the
metal make up is not stamp on them and i have no idea what they
should weigh, since i have no idea how much propane is in them.

wow i feel dumb, but i need to know since if they are alum. i would
spring for the dough to get the valves changed.

--
Rivka and Her Girls
"Destiny" a '66 Airstream Ambassador - Blissfully Boondocked