[VAC] Re: Battery Chargers and care

Until this morning I was unaware that my mission in life is to destroy my
'67 Caravel batteries.
This morning I finally got around to checking the voltage on my recharging
batteries.  Hmmm, 9.6 volts!  I double checked the voltage meter on several
other batteries, all of which were 11.6 - 12.6 volts.
    The previous owner simply kept an old Sears battery charger on all the
time.  I followed suit but the battery was at the end of its service.  After
installing two 6 volt golf cart batteries, I hooked up his rig again.  I
topped up the battery cell water several times and all seemed OK.
    Then I saw one of the new digitally controlled chargers and replaced the
big old Sears unit.  But the small digital charger was apparently not up to
the demands of the two big batteries.  (I think the instructions for the
small digital unit state that a larger charger may be needed to actually
bring the batteries up to full charge).
    At any rate I went back to the old Sears unit.  Around Labor Day I
remembered to check the batteries and the water was below the top plates.  I
refilled them and this morning the water is below the plates again!  I
retopped, re-hooked my old Sears, and listened to the hum of the unit and
the gas bubbling from the battery plates.

    So where do I go from here?... other than learning to be compulsive on
checking my batteries on a schedule.  Any recommendations for a suitable
on-board charger?

Huff