[VAC] Re: Tim's plumbing question

Hi Tom,

With regard to the flare vs. compression, it's my opinion that the compression is not as sure as the flare.  I think this is the reason that the flare fittings are used for propane and other fuel oil applications.  I found that loosening and retightening a compression fitting damages the connection and over time the connection must be replaced.  I found that flare fittings are sure and can be loosened and retightened many times and for a perfect seal.  My oil furnace can't tolerate leaks in the supply or return lines to the tank.  Even trace amounts of leakage in the vibration environment will shut my furnace down.  I've learned that preparation of the tube before the flare is critical to a perfect seal.  I cannot use a tubing cutter without removing all the burr, and filing the bitter end so it's square.  Next is making the flare large enough to fill the nut without touching the threads.  This is the only problem I've experienced with a flare connection.  A previous restorer failed to create an adequate flare.  Eventually, vibration, etc. wore the connection to the point where the flare nut could no longer establish a sure connection.

Also, I'm leaning in favor of Rector Seal over teflon for sealing threaded connections.  So far, I've had great luck with this for brass/plastic connections - like my toilet connections.  Teflon seldom seemed to prevent a leak!

Personally, I'm uncomfortable with compression fittings in a travel trailer.  I've used them when I didn't have a choice for faucet connections, but recently I've found means around their use.

                                                                               Regards, '74 Argosy in Lake Charles, LA - Joy