[VAC] First real towing of the '74 Argosy

Hi All,

Not that my experiences are different than other experienced Airstreamers, I
thought I'd share some happenings of my first tow of the '74 Argosy.

I opted to delay replacement of the axles and accept the consequence of my
choice.  I was comfortable with the choice until I started on I-10 in
Louisiana.  A terrible cow trail that reminded me of my first experiences
trying to ride a horse.  Even without the Argosy in tow, the F250 Super Duty
was punishment on most of  I-10.  Hours of delays due to road construction.
Harrowing sights in the rearview mirror as 18 wheelers failed to see the
stopped traffic and moved down the breakdown to get stopped without
crunching my tiny truck! :(  The spring bar jacks on the Hinsley didn't
loosen and stayed right where I set them despite the very rough road.  The
road seams didn't have any influence on the directional stability of the
truck/trailer.  Contrary to other opinions on the list, 18 wheelers with
large square/flat fronts do induce a slight sway to my non-towing truck.  I
notice near identical induced sway while towing.  Hardly noticeable, but it
is there.  No problem with quick lane changes as the Argosy stayed with me
like a rock without sway or wobble.  All this is completely different than
my experience with the Reese friction cam hitches (I have two in storage as
the Hensley stays with me if I sell my vintage trailers.)

I did have some difficulty doing the hookup as the draw bar would slide into
the Hensely receiver and then lock as the taper entered.  Finally had to
withdraw and try a slightly different angle to accomplish hookup.  Doesn't
look pretty to observers when they understand that it was taking a half hour
for a simple hookup on flat/level ground! :(

I found that the refrigerator will keep frozen items in the compartment
frozen for much of the day without electric power or LP.  The box seemed to
stay quite cool, though above normal refrigeration temperature.  Just keep
the box closed when the unit is not in operation.

As expected, I had lots of problems with the gray/black water dumps.  Didn't
use the black water at all and opted to use the park facility for toilet and
shower.  Wonder why the bathroom  sink is just below crotch level?  Though
gray water, I put some holding tank chemicals in to help lubricate the slide
valves.  Hope this is proper?  Well, use of the sink as a latrine most
likely isn't hoyle, but I didn't want to load the black water tank as the
floor behind it is questionable.  The gray water housing actually supports
the floor infront of the black water tank.

Many of you know that the Airstream models I've worked on, the '69 Safari
and the '74 Argosy do not attach the monocoque directly through the floor
and the outriggers.  The only frame attachment of the monocoque is in the
front and the rear.  Though the Argosy and Safari use completely different
approaches.  Anyway, I noticed that the base of the monocoque on the street
side in front of the wheel well is bowing outward.  This is most likely due
to compromised fasteners that hold the monocoque to the floor.  Keep in mind
that the floor is bolted to the outriggers and the monocoque is held to the
floor with sheet metal screws.  It would be nice to know if the engineering
is to allow the monocoque to flex with the spring in the floor and limit the
stress on the out riggers?  Anybody know?  BTW, another reason for the outer
skin to take an apparent bow is from breakage of the rivets due to
corrosion.  I didn't replace the rivets when I had the trim strip removed.
I did reseal the seam under the trim strip and the trim strip itself to
prevent massive amounts of water from entering the under belly! :)

It happened that I left home on the 15th of September and immediately ran
into the remaining force of hurricane Hanna.  Much of South Carolina was
heavy rain with much of it near blinding.  I forgot to put the Ford in 4
wheel drive.  Just read in the VAC rag that I should have done this.  A bit
late.  At 60 mph and in the lane next to the jersey wall, I crested a hill
and there was a HP sitting cross ways of my lane.  Well, maybe I was
traveling a bit fast for conditions?  Anyway, I had to do a near emergency
stop to keep from removing the road block.  The 4 wheel ABS and the Prodigy
really performed admirably.  No slide of the Ford and the Argosy stayed
right where it should have.  Later, I saw the small car that hit the jersey
wall and flipped and rolled down the interstate.  Later, I saw a 5th wheel
that split a fork and followed the guard rail to the bottom of the ravine.
Not pretty and it was going to damage the truck and trailer to extract from
the situation.  Also, the brakes on the Argosy seem a bit grabby when I
first start out each day and then settle down - I guess when they warm up a
bit.  Several other tests of the braking ability of the Prodigy/F250/Argosy
as there's always an AH who pulls onto the roadway from a ramp and maintains
a strict 25 mph ramp speed! :(  Each of these incidents were well in control
as I expected the unexpected.  Couldn't change lanes due to other vehicles,
but handled the quick slow routine with ease.

The F250 PS diesel dropped from 18.5 mpg non towing to 14.5 mpg towing at 60
to 70 mph.  Guess the drop is more related to frontal wind pressure than the
weight in tow.

Now, I'm sitting on my brother's driveway pad and learning to live in my '74
Argosy 22.  Unfortunately, there's not adequate power to run the AC and it's
getting hot, upper 80s, and lots of humidity.  Fortunately, tomorrow is
fishing in the Gulf and all will be well! :)

                                                                 Regards,
'74 Argosy, Newbee to towing - Joy