[VAC] Axles, Axles, Axles

All this talk of axles for older Airstreams has got me wondering. What are the driving characteristics of axles that need replacing? Aside from the 5° rule, what would pulling an Airstream with bad axles do?

Would the wheels fall off?
Would the trailer wheels/tires bottom out?
Would the axle bottom out?
Would it shake itself to death?
Would it be uncontrollable?
Would the axle assembly fall off?
Would I find myself pulling the plates off and abandoning the Airstream where it lay?

Seriously, what is the downside to ignoring the axle that needs replacing?

Considering the cost of replacement axles, the answer to this question may determine whether I actually might want to check my axles.

Sometimes ignorance may be bliss.

Phil Renner
63' Overlander (with unqualified axles)