[VAC] Re: Introduction/ Piano Hinge/ & Bunk Request

Greetings Eric!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Airstreaming and the pleasures of
traveling in a '64 Tradewind.  There are several owners of '64 models on
the list so you'll find quite a bit of company.

I mention this just as an alternative that you may not have considered.
Since the '64 has a flat front window whose glass can rather easily be
replaced, a rock guard isn't an absolute necessity.  My '64 Overlander
has never had one and has only suffered two cracked windows, and the
last was replaced with Lexan which has held up extremely well over the
past 7 years.  The great advantage to not having a rock guard is that
you can see straight through the trailer using the center rear view
mirror in your tow vehicle assuming that the tow vehicle is tall enough
- - I have become so accustomed to this feature that I dread giving it
up when I tow the Argosy that nearly requires a rock guard due to its
curved wing windows.  It is really nice to know when a small car is
tailgating the trailer, and it is also quite a help when backing solo (I
am a Free Wheeler as well as VAC).

I keep hoping that someone will reproduce the "hammock bunks" as my
coach has all of the original attaching hardware - - and I can remember
sleeping in one as a child of 5 years when the trailer was new and owned
by friends of my family.  By the time the trailer reached me it had
become separated from its original hammock bunks.

Good luck in your restoration project!

Kevin D. Allen
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban
1978 Argosy Minuet
1975 Cadillac Convertible (towcar in-training)
WBCCI/VAC #6359