[VAC] Carlson heater

I decided to fire up the heater to help dry out the back of the trailer.
This unit is a "Carlson Vented Recessed Heater".  I know I have seen
pictures of this heater in other Airstreams.  It is now about the same temp
in there as the inside of my Weber grill on burger night.  The heater
appears to be sound and lit as expected but the control knob is broken so I
can't tell what it used to say other than "pilot" and "off".  Can someone
tell me if there is supposed to be any kind of thermostatic control on this
thing.  The instruction plate seems to say you must turn it on and off
manually.  If that's the case its not exactly user friendly.  Is this
original equipment in 1962?  Can a thermostat be added if it wasn't
originally supplied?  Any help is always appreciated.  Thanks.

Dick
'62 Bambi