[VAC] Re: I quit!

Hi Tim,

Like most VAC list Airstream restorers/RVers,  I have many frustrating
events that sometimes leave my restorations sitting for months and doubts
about the many thousands of dollars and time invested.  I always come back
because the truth is, I like the challenge and the education.  VAC list
contributors always bring me out of my doldrums.

For example, I've spent nearly two months trying to get my '74 Argosy on the
road for a vacation that was to begin during the first week of September.
First, I couldn't find a replacement toilet that fits the existing bathroom
design.   Well, I can get along with a porta potty on the toilet shelf,
can't I?

So, I filled the new OPD propane tanks and decided to check the torsion
axles - yep, they are shot and have the dreaded positive angle - meaning no
springs and coach damage if I tow.  Well, no problem as I've heard that
other restorers  replaced axles.  But, the preliminary cost for each of the
two axles is $1500 or $3000!  :)  Not in the budget for this year as I must
be in Baton Rouge, LA a few weeks from now.

Despite the axle setback, I ripped out the front gaucho, pulled the water
tank, and readied the floor for penetrating epoxy by drilling a zillion
holes in the 1/2 inch plywood flooring.  On the side nearest the water
heater, the drill bit, drill and all went right through the floor.  No
penetrating epoxy for this area and I must make a patch.  No problemo, I've
been here before and I'm up to the task! :)

With regard to plumbing, my '74 Argosy was freeze damaged to the extent that
all copper plumbing is gone and replaced with PEX.  Those joints where I
want to remove something like a water heater, I used quest fittings rather
than the crimp rings.  PEX can take incredible bends and be held with clamps
as the new plumbing is snaked throughout the trailer.   Also, PEX seems to
be the preferred installation by professionals for mobile homes, prebuilt
homes, SOB travel trailers, and new Airstreams.  PEX can survive a freeze!
If leaks occur from freeze due to expansion of the compression rings, it's a
simple matter to fit the tool and restore the original crimp. :)

The tool to crimp PEX costs about $100, but I've used it to also replace all
the copper plumbing in the '69 Safari.  The Safari didn't have freeze
damage, just nasty looking copper through out the coach.  Replacement of
large floor sections in the bathroom required cutting out of much of the
copper anyway.  I'm not a fan of trying to use a torch in confined areas.
Especially with today's higher melting temperature lead free solder.

If your coach had freeze damage in one area, you'll find that most of the
plumbing has damaged copper that will leak sooner or later.  IMHO,
replacement of the all the copper is essential to trouble free use of the
coach.

I haven't hardly looked in the '69 Safari restoration for a year and the
belly is still hanging and waiting for me to button it up.  Meanwhile, I
noticed that most of the panels are delaminating.  :(

Yes, I'm frustrated and burned out from the continual finding of additional
near catastrophic circumstances that seem to appear unexpectedly.  Then,
like you, a few days of reflection about all the successes of the past and
I'm back at it again.  All the while thinking that the idea is to travel and
meet the great people of the VAC.

Keep the faith Tim, your setback is minor and can be easily overcome.
Harvey Barlow kept me encouraged to continue my restoration of the '69
Safari, despite what seemed overwhelming problems.  You have an army of
support to help you through this small problem.

      Regards, '74 Argosy
                     '69 Safari
      Struggling to get one on the road, Joy