[VAC] Re: I quit!

Tim,
Don't give up!  I've done a couple of old Airstreams now and find that some systems just don't work with a mix of old and new.  My old water heater was intact, but the copper pipes had all been stretched from having water in them over several winters.  I tried to splice new copper and plastic at several locations, but found that the copper just didn't fit anything available.  I'm sure that's why the PO used rubber hoses, nothing else would fit.  Anyway, I decided to scrap the entire water system and put a new one in.  When trying to disconnect the water heater, I quickly found that the entire heater was rotted out.  The input and output pipes easily broke off with little pressure.  The whole system was a pile of rust.  Sounds like your system is prime for a replacement, not a patch repair.  Recommend a new water heater with all new pipes.  It's not that difficult and you will be worry free for years.
Good luck
Pete