[VAC] Hensley - Brake Controller - Prodigy

Hi All,

I still have to get the 8 inch drop draw bar to level my '74 Argosy.  I was
having trouble attaining near identical receiver angles until I realized
that I had "0" reverse tension on the spring bars (due to the excess height
of the F250 vs. the level attitude of the trailer).  I lowered the spring
bar
jack an additional hole beyond that recommended by the installation manual.
This helped, but likely I still need the 8" drop rather than the 6" I now
have.  The 6" was purchased specifically for the single axle '69 Safari, so
I'll have to purchase the 8" drop right out from Hensley.  I think Hunter
mentioned that the 8" drop was OK for the F250 Super Duty.

The installation of the Prodigy worked out very well when I fabricated a
bracket that fits in the pocket shelf in the dash in the F250 dash.  The
rear part of the bracket is curved up from the bottom of the shelf and
wedges against the top.  The Prodigy is held firm and at an acceptable
angle.  I can see the digital read out and grasp the override lever easily.
The bracket is easily removed by slipping a long blade between the upper lip
of the bracket curve and the roof of the pocket.

All this done, I did the set-up adjustments with my rig traveling at 25 mph,
I attempted full power stops.  The trailer brakes are actuated at near full
power in one second from application of the truck brakes. :)  Different than
in the old days with non-ABS braking because I don't get any squeal from the
truck brakes.  It took two or three stops to go from trailer brake squeal to
non-squeal.  Also, I left the Prodigy without boost as I seemed to be
getting adequate braking.  However, I noticed that there was a definite
tendency for the truck to PULL TO THE LEFT.  Not something that was
difficult to control, but in an emergency situation or less than ideal road
conditions, one more thing to accommodate. :(

I haven't adjusted the brakes on the '74 Argosy as  yet, and the squeal I
heard could have been from a single wheel.  However, my thoughts from the
Hensley performance claim is that the trailer cannot direct the tow vehicle.
It seems like something is forcing a change in braking performance of the
truck.  Without the Argosy in tow, the truck stops straight without any
change in direction under identical circumstance.  Is it possible that
poorly adjusted or a malfunctioning brake on the trailer could cause this
situation despite the use of the Hensley?

Since I'm not a long term experienced driver with towing, I must rely on the
list contributors to learn smart and not by personal circumstance.

Along the same thoughts, I've read several times that use of the trailer
brakes only will straighten out the trailer/tow in most situations.
However, my neighbor (drives tractor trailer for a living) says never to
apply the trailer brakes under slippery road conditions.  He claims that the
trailer will pass the tractor in a blink!  So, it's worth it to me to read
what the list's experienced drivers do in dry road, wet road, and icy road
conditions.  Besides staying off icy roads, are there different approaches
to emergency situations with varying road conditions?

Thanks for any information that will help me learn to tow safely the smart
way! :)

                                          '74 Argosy, Joy