[VAC] Re: Grey Water In Bambi

Hi Eric,

I attended the Cherry Blossom event near Washington, DC as a visitor and toured several vintage units.  One was a bambi, I think, that the owner had changed the bath to a center installation on the streetside over the axle.  I didn't ask about gray water/black water, but it was a neat, personalized trailer with lots of crafted wood cabinets.  Think he  created a rear bedroom.  Really nice polished outside.

Anyway, possibly he is on the VAClist and can tell you how he handled the remodeling.

Without knowing anything about anything, I would consider putting in an above floor black water tank if you have an existing combo tank under the floor.  Convert the under floor tank to the gray water tank.  My '74 Argosy has a rear bath and the toilet is centered against the rear wall - the tank is above the floor.  Uses a short style toilet to achieve a reasonable seat height.  The under floor gray water tank is mounted in what would normally be the under floor black water tank.  In this case, the housing seems to be part of the support for the floor as a cross brace isn't in the usual place.  Another style, is for the toilet to be located in the corner on top of the black water holding tank.  The outlet drops outside the main frame rail and through the banana curve.  I think this is optimal for an addition if you can tolerate creating a personalized interior rather than restoring the original.

The combo tank in my '69 Safari is too close to the rear frame to mount a centered black tank above the floor.  However, a corner installation would be a great modification as the  toilet is near that location in the original layout.  The dump would be outside the main frame rail.

My thought is that consideration of a new tank above the floor is a definite plus.  If  you have to leave other plumbing, you could put the tub/shower pan on a platform.  My '69 Safari tub is on a 5 inch platform anyway.  Another couple of inches wouldn't hurt a short guy like me! :)  Seems that the modern Bambi has an angled corner toilet and a bed next to it in the rear.  I think the toilet uses the above floor tank and an underfloor gray water tank.

Past threads concerning this, plumbed the sink drain into a closet tank, leaving the tub connected to the black water tank.  Most likely, this is the simplest approach next to the "blue boy".

In the '69 Safari, I removed the 40#, six gallon water heater and replaced it with a 10 pound, 6 gallon unit (both empty) and saves 30 pounds at the rear of the trailer.  Also trashed the old Univolt at about 50 pounds for the 5 pound Intelipower.  Saves about 80 pounds at the rear.  A 12 gallon black water tank above the floor would keep the balance and not overstress the frame.  Hmmm, I hate the below floor tanks, the housings, the nasty installation/maintenance issues.

You can take all this tongue in cheek as the ravings of a mad restorer!

                                  '69 Safari,
                                  '74 Argosy,
                                        Joy