[VAC] Re: toilet flange etc.

Evans,
You must have had the airstream gods looking over you if you were able to
salvage the copper water pipes.  I ended up changing the entire system in
mine as they had all expanded too far to splice anything in.  Anyway, the
flange is threaded in on my '68 Ambassador.  I came out without too much
frustration.  I made a tool to fit into the cutouts in the flange inner ring
and used a long pipe to pursuade the ring out.  AS far as the toilet, its
your choice.  I picked up a modern Aqua Magic China bowl unit from camping
world while on sale.  Very nice unit at a reasonable price.  Didn't go for
the electric flush though.  Any unit that fits will work.  Don't know if
originals are available.
As far as the Bowen water heater, I would really check the old one out
before spending time and money on it.  Mine looked fairly good, but when I
tried to remove it, I found the bottom was rusted out and the attaching
water pipes fell off from corrosion.  I love to restore to original, but
have found new units are much more reliable and easier to find parts for.  I
found an almost perfect fit for my '60 22' Safari but elected to upsize and
adapt a larger unit for the '68 Ambassador.  If you want to go original,
there should be some sources for help.  Just be sure to check to see if you
have enough of the tank to restore.
Good luck!
Pete