[VAC] Re: 1971/1972 Airstream Land yacht International Sovereign 31'

It's a 1972 model.  Looks like it was sold end of Sept - which makes
sense as Airstream does just what the car makers do, start their model
year in the fall.  As it took about a month to build an AS in the
'70's, I'm rather surprised at the July build date, but again this is
Airstream - a small custom manufacturing company.  Could be it started
life as a 1971 build (there isn't much difference between a '71 & '72),
the owner cancelled, and it came to life later as '72 and they slapped
a 1972 serial # on it as it finished up.  Each coach has it's own story
- there are no hard and fast rules.  The serial # breaks down as
follows:
I = International trim package
31 = 31 foot Sovereign
T = Twin Bed Layout
2 = 1972 model year
J = Jackson Center Ohio plant
1 = good question, as this can be a 1 or 2
232 = varied by year.  Sometimes it means the 232nd Airstream made that
year in that plant, sometimes the 232nd of that model made that year in
that plant, or sometimes the 232nd of that model made in that plant
over a couple of year period from some arbitrary date.  In this case,
it looks to be the latter, as the model year was just getting started.

I continue to learn more & more about serial #'s, so this isn't an
exact science yet.  Airstream doesn't have real info to release, and
they even have to guess from time to time - I've even been getting
referrals from them to me for people seeking info on older trailers -
talk about the blind leading the naked!

Later,
RJ
VintageAirstream.com