[VAC] Re: 7 6.2 liter Diesel issues

Tom,
The old GM Diesel Pick-Ups & Suburbans have a fuel filter mounted on the
firewall. It has a drain valve on the bottom of it to drain off water when
it accumulates. It also has another valve at the top with a small nipple on
it that you attach a hose to and insert into a bottle. When you crank the
engine this hose will spit air/fuel into the bottle and will not start until
only fuel is passing out the hose. Then you close this valve and the system
is free of air and it runs great.....until the next time. It doesn't happen
everytime however it is annoying.  I think you may be correct in that it is
sucking air in somewhere between the tank and filter. I have been using
"diesel kleen" to help condition the fuel and hopefully kill whatever might
be living in there. It hasn't made much difference though. I guess there may
be an air leak somewhere or possibly the mechanical fuel pump is in the
process of going bad.
Thanks for the input,
Colin