[VAC] Re: '56 Safari Floor Repair

Steve
With regards to the floor, my 63 Overlander was so bad it was missing chunks
mid-coach and rear. I had to replace sections. I replaced the rear all the
way across for about 24" and a chunk in the kitchen. I used 3/4" pressure
treated (marine was too hard to find in 3/4 for me). One manufacturers 3/4
(or 5/8) may vary in thickness from another. Important to me was matching
thickness as close as possible. I got to within a hair or 2.

When you do the floor you need access to the frame underneath. You need to
remove at least some of the belly pan. If you have to do a section that goes
completely from side to side, you'll have to do it in two smaller pieces as
you cannot insert a full width piece into the channel both sides at a time.
Make all your cuts and patches at the centerpoints of frame members for
rigidity. Keep your old floor as whole as possible to use as a templet for
the "curve" and plumbing cutouts.

I found no problem with the channel compressing and used no spacers.

Good luck, better you than me this time.

Phil Renner
63' Overlander
Guilford, CT