[VAC] Re: Hitch height (& bike cariers)

Dick. Rear end separation is referred to when the frame separates from the
shell. Adding a heavier bumper or beefing up the frame will "not" stop the
separation.
What really happens is the frame pulls away from the shell allowing water to
get to the plywood floor. In time, that wood rots, further adding to the
separation.
If you want to take the rear end apart and modify it to do want your talking
about is ok. However, when someone has done it before, and therefore knows
all the requirements, it will take about 16 to 20 hours to do it. Certainly
not the task I would suggest for the typical owner.
Also keep in mind that whatever additional weight you add to the rear end has
a negative effect on the tongue weight. If enough rear end weight is added,
it can render the trailer uncontrollable. In that case moving the axle or
axles rearward several inches would solve that problem.
The long and short of it is, "DON'T."
I am not trying to scare you, but facts are facts. Altering the original
Airstream design is something we do, everyday. But, in order to do so, we
must take many more steps beyond what seems ok. In doing so, we do move
axles, add additional axles, beef up the frame, etc. We have on the road a 31
foot trailer, with 3 axles, that grosses over 12,000 pounds, with not a
problem one. It just takes time, and, a lot of money. Presently we are
working with someone to create a triple axle 31 foot Airstream trailer, that
will gross out at about 14,000 pounds, with a water tank system that will
carry 200 gallons and a gray tank that will hold right at 180 gallons, all
without changing the weight and balance, along with many other very special
components.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com