[VAC] wandering van

I thought I'd post this in case someone else has this
problem and doesn't know it.

I have been towing for some months now with my E250
extended van.  I have been pleased with the handling.
I did have some funny tire wear up front, though.  The
tires were wearing in the middle.  Reducing tire
pressure didn't seem to help.

The guy at the tire store said I needed the front end
aligned. This seemed confusing, but what the heck?  I
parted with $30 and figured it couldn't hurt.

Now the van is like a balloon in the breeze.  The
slightest wind requires a course correction, and it is
NO FUN to tow!  I checked the toe-in and it seems to
be a little less than 1/8" toe-out.  I'm pretty sure
this is incorrect, although my measurements may be
inaccurate.  I will be looking into this, and will
post again when the situation is satisfactorily
resolved.

Anyway, the point I wanted to share is this:  if you
have terrible handling, be sure to check the alignment
AND be sure you can trust the shop where it's done.
You may have a perfectly good tow vehicle that has
been messed up by a bad front end job.

Jon in SC
68 Overlander
White knuckles