[VAC] forklift accident update

Hi, All,

For those of you who remember the run-in my '68 Safari had with a
forklift last month, I thought I'd let you know how it all turned out.
(The
lower streetside panel sustained a 6" wide puncture and, in what may
or may not have been a related incident - it occurred 3 days later - , the
window immediately above was shattered.)

After reading and rereading all the helpful posts from the folks on this
list, I decided the replace the entire panel.  (Thanks, RJ, for the proper
aluminum specs!!!)  I also was able to locate a replacement
curved-glass window (thanks, Nick!!!).

Next I had to decide on a repair facility.  Again, the VAC came to the
rescue, with the suggestion of using an aircraft repair shop (thanks,
Gary!!!). I ended up taking it to Executive Air Repair, at Executive
Airport
in Sacramento.  Obviously, airplanes are what they do, but they actually
had another Airstream (a tiny pre-1957 one, looked like a Wee Wind)
with a punctured panel in there when I first went out there.  And I figured
that with people's lives literally riding on their workmanship, they would
have to be good.  And they didn't disappoint me.  They did an absolutely
impeccable job, guaranteed it against leaks, finished on schedule and
under budget to boot!  Plus, they were knowledgeable, friendly, and
helpful.  I would recommend them without hesitation them to anyone
needing sheetmetal work.

So it all turned out well.  And the added benefit is that now I have one
big section less that I need to strip the clearcoat off of!

If you're interested in seeing photos of the accident and the repair, go to
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/ameeker/accident.htm

Thanks again, everyone who wrote to help me!

Amanda