[VAC] Re: Vintage grey water

That's good. Now she knows how to use everything. Next step is learning how
to use everything conservatively. Our daily goal is to not filling the 5
gallon blue tank. With practice, this is easily done.

Tenters use their picnic table for washing dishes and then toss the water in
the shrubs. We have a dish pan and strainer for that purpose. Sometimes, we
wash dishes only once a day. On rainy days, we wash often. Paper plates can
be "washed" in the campfire. Many choices become evident as the incentive
increases.

> So, when there are not sewer hook ups.  What do pre grey tankers do?

In high and low desert country, we've been able to go awhile (?) without
showers and still not feel scuzzy.  Navy showers work well for us with our
green hose snaked down into a gopher hole.  Sometimes, I make our own gopher
hole in the desert and fill it with rocks so there is no surface wetness and
no apparent hole.

But, when humidity and temperature is high, like in Louisiana, my wife has
the following rule: "no hookups = no hook-ups." Yikes, that gets my
attention immediately.

> I understand they have blue tote tanks and will be getting one, but what
> size?  How often do you have to empty it?  Is it a pain to deal with?

For me, a 5 gallon tank (40#s) is easy to manage. I'm in charge of emptying
it. My goal is to be discrete and only do it when no one (hardly anyone)
will notice what I'm doing.  My preferred time for doing the job is evening
when most campers are in their rigs and not walking their dog or jogging
around the park. I'm sure some people prefer mornings. And then there are
those who only do it whenever it's mandatory (and make a spectacle of
themselves).

I'm also in charge of the green hose for grey water. I have varying lengths
of hose for use depending on the terrain.  The rules about grey water vary
among the states and campgrounds.  You'll learn the "rules" quickly,
especially if you misread them.

Regardless of the rules, I'm extremely fastidious and never fuss with the
blue tank when the family next door is down wind of us and 10 feet away in
their tents or sitting around their campfire.  When in close quarters, I try
to empty the tank when my neighbors aren't at home or when they're engrossed
in their own high intensity family activities.

You've read several answers from others to your question. I'm sure you'll
work out a system that fits your needs and style. Make it a game and it
won't be a pain.

Terry

mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net